Monday, September 25, 2017

A Study on Ruth (Part 4)

The final part of this series!

Last year, I decided to study the book of Ruth. I'd been having a hard time getting into the Word and I knew that there were hidden truths in Ruth that I had yet to discover. It was my first independent, personal, and in-depth study on a book in the Bible and it was a very special time. In fact, I can't help but wish I could go back, just to experience it for the first time all over again!

What I share here are my personal notes. I'm not an authority on the book and I'm sure there are more profound commentaries available. (I read this one as I was doing my own study, which gave me clarity on a few verses that I was having trouble with; this is another one which I'm reading now.) But if it can aid anyone, even one person, then here goes.


A Study On Ruth (Part 4)

Ruth 4:1-2

Then went Boaz up to the gate, and sat him down there: and, behold, the kinsman of whom Boaz spake came by; unto whom he said, Ho, such a one! turn aside, sit down here. And he turned aside, and sat down.
And he took ten men of the elders of the city, and said, Sit ye down here. And they sat down.

I see Jesus here in these verses. Our Lord, reckoning on our behalf. Attending to our redemption. How often the world fails in keeping its word to us. And here is Boaz, a representative of our Savior, keeping his word to Ruth and settling the matter of her salvation in such a timely way...

Like I mentioned in part 3, it is very likely that the "nearer kinsman" represents the Law in this book. So says this commentary, and I happen to agree. The commentary also goes on to say that it could be that these ten elders represent the ten commandments. Interesting, huh?

Ruth 4:3-4

And he said unto the kinsman, Naomi, that is come again out of the country of Moab, selleth a parcel of land, which was our brother Elimelech's:
And I thought to advertise thee, saying, Buy it before the inhabitants, and before the elders of my people. If thou wilt redeem it, redeem it: but if thou wilt not redeem it, then tell me, that I may know: for there is none to redeem it beside thee; and I am after thee. And he said, I will redeem it.

There is none to redeem it beside thee.

When it comes to the matter of our purchasing - of the price being paid for the debt of our sin - there is none that can help us save the Lord. We are entirely at His mercy. Here we see there is another - a nearer kinsman - who ought to be able to do the job. And at first, he seems willing enough. So the Law seems, upon first inspection, to be able to do for us a work of redemption. Ultimately, it cannot.

A personal reflection: It seems to me in verse 3-5 that Boaz's approach to this other kinsman was almost strategic. Almost as if to dissuade or discourage him from redeeming Ruth. As if he really wanted to himself. Which got me thinking - Jesus wanted to redeem us for Himself. He knew there was a price to pay but He did it. Unflinchingly. Boaz wanted Ruth as Jesus wanted us. He negotiated on our behalf. He did it openly, without shame - He called for witnesses for He wants His ownership to be unmistakable. Boaz wanted all to know to whom Ruth belonged - and Jesus wants all to know to whom we belong. Amen ♥

Ruth 4:5-6

Then said Boaz, What day thou buyest the field of the hand of Naomi, thou must buy it also of Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of the dead, to raise up the name of the dead upon his inheritance.
And the kinsman said, I cannot redeem it for myself, lest I mar mine own inheritance: redeem thou my right to thyself; for I cannot redeem it.

And so it comes out of the kinsman's mouth: I cannot redeem it.

Again, the law cannot redeem us! It doesn’t save us from the penalty of sin or from the power of sin. Good works alone can't do it. There's only one who can save Ruth, and that's Boaz. And so is there only only One who can save us and that is Jesus. 

Ruth 4:7-10

Now this was the manner in former time in Israel concerning redeeming and concerning changing, for to confirm all things; a man plucked off his shoe, and gave it to his neighbour: and this was a testimony in Israel.
Therefore the kinsman said unto Boaz, Buy it for thee. So he drew off his shoe.
And Boaz said unto the elders, and unto all the people, Ye are witnesses this day, that I have bought all that was Elimelech's, and all that was Chilion's and Mahlon's, of the hand of Naomi.
Moreover Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of Mahlon, have I purchased to be my wife, to raise up the name of the dead upon his inheritance, that the name of the dead be not cut off from among his brethren, and from the gate of his place: ye are witnesses this day.

The contract is drawn up. The law says: "Buy it for thee." The keyword here is buy. There is a price to pay for our redemption. Boaz (Jesus) pays in full and makes Ruth his own. He takes her, as Jesus takes us, to be his bride.

Ruth 4:11-13

And all the people that were in the gate, and the elders, said, We are witnesses. The Lord make the woman that is come into thine house like Rachel and like Leah, which two did build the house of Israel: and do thou worthily in Ephratah, and be famous in Bethlehem:
And let thy house be like the house of Pharez, whom Tamar bare unto Judah, of the seed which the Lord shall give thee of this young woman.
So Boaz took Ruth, and she was his wife: and when he went in unto her, the Lord gave her conception, and she bare a son.

Verse 11 gives me the impression that Ruth may have been barren indeed when she was married to Mahlon, for after marrying Boaz, the Lord "gave her conception" and she had a baby boy. Here we see the fruitfulness of her marriage and how she was blessed!

So are we blessed and made fruitful in our union with Christ. We were strangers - empty, sinful, broken, barren, in need of redemption with no one to save us. And then Christ came. He is our Husband, our Redeemer and kinsman. And we are blessed when we are found in Him!

Ruth 4:14-17

And the women said unto Naomi, Blessed be the Lord, which hath not left thee this day without a kinsman, that his name may be famous in Israel.
And he shall be unto thee a restorer of thy life, and a nourisher of thine old age: for thy daughter in law, which loveth thee, which is better to thee than seven sons, hath born him.
And Naomi took the child, and laid it in her bosom, and became nurse unto it.
And the women her neighbours gave it a name, saying, There is a son born to Naomi; and they called his name Obed: he is the father of Jesse, the father of David.

And now we see how Naomi, once bitter and backslidden, is blessed and restored. She becomes the grandmother of Ruth and Boaz's son, Obed. And Obed, as we know from the following verses, will one day be the father of a man named Jesse, who will have eight sons... the youngest of which will be a boy named David, who will become the King of Israel.

It is no coincidence that out of this line comes the Great King Himself, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.


Reflections

And that wraps up my study on the book of Ruth! I enjoyed doing this study so much and I hope that if anyone stumbles across this blog that it will bless them, too. My notes were far from profound, but it was the truth God chose to reveal to me, personally, and that blessed me so much.

From this book I learned so much about my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I learned that He restores. He redeems, He sanctifies, comforts, nourishes, protects, blesses, provides, satisfies, commands, is kind, pours out grace, is my rest, is mighty, powerful, a Gentleman, and the lover of my soul. I saw these things as I never had before, and I pray that if you, dear reader, choose to study this book called Ruth, that you see these lovely truths about Him as well.

God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment